Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Babble.com: 8 Parenting Lessons To Learn From 'Arrested Development'
- Our Favorite Tweets From Parents This Week
Safe Kids USA and Johnson & Johnson to Air Webcast on Sports Injuries
Don't worry. Neither do at least 40 percent of parents, according to a survey by Safe Kids USA and Johnson & Johnson. Only 35 percent say their child plays sports with a certified athletic trainer. And only 29 percent feel the coach knows how to prevent sports injuries.
That's why Safe Kids USA and Johnson & Johnson are sponsoring a webcast at 12 p.m. EST on May 2, to educate parents of children ages 5 to 14 about sports injury prevention.
The webcast will be streamed from the Safe Kids USA Facebook page. RSVPs are being accepted.
The panel includes:
- Steve Young, former NFL quarterback
- Dr. Angela Mickalide, director of research and programs for Safe Kids Worldwide
- Dr. Gerard Gioia, director of the SCORE Concussion Program at Children's National Medical Center
- Dr. Douglas Casa, chief operating officer for the Korey Stringer Institute at the University of Connecticut
"This epidemic of youth injuries hasn't happened overnight. It's a cultural change," William Levine, a physician and the incoming chair of STOP Sports Injuries, tells USA Today. His organization is made up of physicians who want to make sports safe for kids.
Levine adds that sports have gone from a seasonal activity for kids in the past 10 years to a lifestyle. When one sport ends, another begins.
Jean Rickerson, a mother and founder of SportsConcussions.org, tells the newspaper it will take another movement to eliminate the parents' knowledge gap.
"We're changing a culture and the culture doesn't change overnight," she says.
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- There are more than 67,000 households on the list ...?????????????
- Cant upload foia for federal election commission primary election results or general for derian douglas hickman or the e-mail
- D. hickman v. intel, microsoft et.al federal district court dc (bill gates deposition part 1 you tube?) are you a owner of a company?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.