Season in Which Babies Are Born Could Affect Everything From Allergies to Anorexia, Study Shows
New research says the season in which children are born could affect their health, LiveScience reports.
"We found an excess of anorexia births in the spring months compared to the general population," study researcher Lahiru Handunnetthi, of the Wellcome Trust Center for Human Genetics, tells the website. "The idea is that there is some sort of risk factor that varies seasonally with anorexia."
LiveScience reports eight out of 100 people born between March and June had anorexia -- a 15 percent increase in risk for spring babies.
Handunnetthi tells LiveScience vitamin D levels could be to blame, citing seasonal infections, nutrition changes and fluctuations in the weather.
More findings, according to LiveScience:
- A 2003 study from the Journal of Nutrition showed African-American babies born in the summer and fall were smaller than those born in the spring and winter.
- Fall babies have a 9.5 percent risk of having food allergies -- compared to a 5 percent risk for June and July babies.
- Babies born in November or December were three times more apt to experience eczema and wheezing, according to a 2010 study published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.
- Moderate and severe nearsightedness, as well as far-sightedness, is highest for summer babies, according to a 2008 report from the journal Ophthalmology.
- A 2010 study published in the journal Nature Neuroscience found mice born in winter months "were less able to adapt to a summer light cycle, which could be related to the increased risk of mental health disorders in humans born in the winter."
- Leukemia has been linked to spring births, peaking in April.
- Austria and Denmark studies have found fall babies live longer than spring babies.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- LAW SCHOOL OR COPYCAT would'nt it be a difficult profession ( lawyer)if anyone could use your court case defense as plaintiff or defendant
- Copyright court case litigation? the words spoken by attorney at trial ? in defense of a product or person(or as plaintiff or defendant))
- Good article for a homeless news paper
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.