Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Karri-Leigh P. Mastrangelo: Pregnant or Not, I Don't Regret My…
- How To Have A Stress-Free Blended Family Vacation
Phoebe Prince's Bullies Apologize, Are Sentenced to 1 Year Probation, Community Service
On Jan. 14, 2010, teenager Phoebe Prince hung herself in her home, and, soon after her death, details of the bullying and harassment she faced at school began to unravel.
Six alleged bullies faced felony charges in their hometown of Hadley, Mass.
Court reports indicate Prince was called a "whore" and that one bully suggested she kill herself, "Today" reports.
Today, more than a year later, two of the teens, Sean Mulveyhill and Kayla Narey, plead guilty to misdemeanor criminal harassment. They were sentenced to one year probation and 100 hours of community service. It is likely the others charged will strike similar deals to avoid jail time.
Narey rose in court to read an emotional apology addressed to Prince in which she apologized for her unkindness, and for laughing when others tormented the girl. She also apologized to the Prince family for the suffering they have endured.
Prince's mom agreed to the deal to avoid a trial. "Today" reports there was not a dry eye in the room as she addressed her daughter's bullies for the first time in court, reflecting on the pain of saying goodbye to her daughter.
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- If a governor or former military general was not on tv you you believe he was if you were told
- patent or not civil case the inventor will never lose because the people approved and he makes the rules. it did not exist
- Motion to reopen case 2013 derian d. Hickman v. Internal revenue service superior court dc
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.