Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- 'Arrested Development' Cast Picks Their Favorite Moments
- Jennifer Pellegrini: After a Wild Week of News, Two Stories You Might…
Fever During Pregnancy May Cause Rise in Austim Risk
HealthDay reports a number of new studies were presented at the recent International Meeting for Autism Research (IMFAR) in San Diego, and, in addition to the fever study, researchers also found C-section births aren't associated with autism, but pregnant women with high blood pressure, obesity and diabetes are at risk.
According to the news service, about one in 110 children in the United States has an autism spectrum disorder, and research shows autism diagnoses are rising, while some studies also suggest a rise in the actual number of autism cases, too.
"Autism is an incredibly complex disorder than now affects nearly 1 percent of children," IMFAR President David Amaral tells HealthDay.
In one study, researchers looked at reports from women who had influenza or fevers during pregnancy, the news service reports, and discovered those who had kids diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder were almost two times more apt to have reported a fever during pregnancy than those who did not have autistic children. Fever during the second trimester seemed to raise the risk even more, HealthDay adds.
In another study, researchers found children of mothers who had diabetes -- both Type 2 and gestational -- chronic hypertension and pre-pregnancy obesity were at a "significant" risk of having a child with autism or a developmental delay, according to HealthDay.
And, in another study, the news service reports, researchers looking at autism in connection to C-sections found no link.
Research presented at meetings should be considered preliminary, HealthDay notes.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- LAW SCHOOL OR COPYCAT would'nt it be a difficult profession ( lawyer)if anyone could use your court case defense as plaintiff or defendant
- While attempting to explain consider who your explaining to. building a government may seem like gilligan's island to a person that can't
- Discuss Derian douglas hickman's answer to: 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference 01/16/2013
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.