Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Mitch Kellaway: Father's Day as a Transgender Man
- Melissa Sher: The 7 Annoying People You'll Meet When Pregnant
Need Makeup Tips? This 5-Year-Old Is Doling Them Out on YouTube
Filed under: In The News
But a 5-year-old who doesn't just play with her mom's cosmetics, but posts online makeup tutorials? That's kicking off a sticky controversy.
"Good Morning America" reports Madison Hohrine, a little girl from Hurst, Texas, is just one of many pint-sized beauty advisers on YouTube, where girls ages 3 to 11 can be seen doling out tips on how to apply mascara and more.
"Some people don't know how to put makeup on," Madison tells "GMA." "You can put it on your eyes, your cheeks, your mouth -- it's so much fun."
Her mom, Mary Hohrine, tells the show the videos are just like a little girl playing dress-up, and that she doesn't let Madison wear makeup daily.
"When she asks to be putting makeup on every day, then I'll be getting worried," the mom tells "GMA."
Experts aren't so sure "fun" is the word for it.
"It's weird for a little girl to know about contouring and makeup and angles," Dr. Logan Levkoff, author of 'Third Base Ain't What it Used to Be,' " tells the news show. "We have a society where we sexualize little girls, almost from birth on."
Blame shows like "Toddlers & Tiaras" and body-conscious fashions for sending girls the wrong message, Levkoff adds.
"It's the message that our girls aren't valued," she tells "GMA."
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Would you request up front payment from foreign nation and a recurring debt with the united states
- Discuss Derian douglas hickman's answer to: 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference 01/16/2013
- Using a foreign governement company to defend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA alot of .gov huh
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.