Colorado Child Care Rules Could Require Racially Diverse Dolls, 'Culturally Sensitive' Activities
Filed under: In The News
The Denver Post reports the 98 pages of proposed rules came out of a 2000 law requiring Colorado to come up with child care quality standards in all sorts of areas, including nutrition and special needs services. But a number of lawmakers and child care providers say many of the proposed rules are a shining example of a one-size-fits-all mentality.
Some of the rules, according to the newspaper, include:
- All doll collections much represent three races.
- 10 pieces of each art material required per toddler and infant classroom -- think 10 crayons, 10 paints, 10 brushes, etc.
- Potential chocking hazards, including food items, glitter, shaving cream, cotton balls and "googly eyes" are a no-no.
- Each room much have at least 12 books, plus one additional book for each child in the class.
- At least 10 visual displays required per room, with two "representing nature realistically" and two "presenting diversity in a positive way."
- No sweetened drinks or whole milk, and only 20 minutes of screen time per day.
- "Activities shall be culturally sensitive and represent diversity."
- "Boys and girls shall not be restricted to gender-specific role playing."
Human Services Department director Reggie Bicha tells the newspaper the rules are just an early draft and feedback will be taken before they are set before the State Board of Human Services to be approved.
"We certainly want to move forward to strengthen child care so kids are ready to learn," Bicha tells the Post. "At the same time, we have to promulgate regulations that are smart, that are achievable and that are not overreaching."
State Sen. Kevin Lundberg, R-Berthoud, tells the newspaper some of the current child care regulations are already making it too expensive for parents to afford to send their kids to the facilities.
"I think they're just ratcheting up to a whole new level of micromanagement," he tells the Post.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- At the internal revenue service it is not difficult to identify the inventor of a product or service that"s what create's the agency
- Governor at 15 the average life expectancy in 1950 was about 50 making 25 middle age and your prime about 15-17
- Pro-se not considered a attorney no bar# only self representation ,im i at a disadvantage based on non- affilation?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.