Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Karri-Leigh P. Mastrangelo: Pregnant or Not, I Don't Regret My…
- How To Have A Stress-Free Blended Family Vacation
Mom Faces 3 Years in Jail After Son, 4, Killed While Jaywalking
Filed under: In The News
Raquel Nelson may not have been the one behind the wheel in the hit-and-run accident that killed her 4-year-old son, A.J., but she still faces three years in jail for jaywalking with the boy.
"Today" reports the mother and her three kids stepped off a bus last spring in Marietta, Ga., and attempted to cross four lanes of traffic without a crosswalk when a van hit them.
Nelson and one daughter suffered minor injuries, according to the news show, while another daughter was unharmed. The driver, Jerry Guy, was eventually arrested, plead guilty to one charge of hit and run and served six months in jail. He is currently on probation, "Today" reports.
Nelson was convicted of second degree vehicular homicide, reckless conduct and failure to use a crosswalk, and faces three years in prison, according to the news show. This disparity has some crying foul.
"Ms. Nelson was shown no sympathy whatsoever by the system," attorney David Schwartz tells "Today." "This will live with her forever."
Nelson tells the news show she continuously replays the accident in her mind.
"I guess it's hard to explain if you've never been through something like that, but you're always going to relive it," she tells "Today."
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Would you want to to pick your own security . ? im sure they get homes paid for by the state or political party also. 18 =20 votes before 98
- Cant upload foia for federal election commission primary election results or general for derian douglas hickman or the e-mail
- Would you request up front payment from foreign nation and a recurring debt with the united states
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.